You have been planning and making decisions, and now it’s getting closer and closer to the BIG DAY! You won’t want to miss this step, because this is what makes it truly official: The Wedding License!
How do you apply?
- Your marriage license will be valid for 60 days after it is issued (plan accordingly).
- You apply in the county where one of you resides.
- If you’re out of state, you need to apply in the county where the ceremony is taking place.
- Make sure you bring all of your identification to the clerk’s office (the more the better- in my opinion): drivers license, passport, birth certificate, and social security card.
- You’ll want to confirm with the Office on all of the documents you need to bring, every county is different.
- Money- you’ll be paying for the licenses ($25 if resident of Indiana/ out of state $65)
- Last note, the certified copies of your marriage license are not included in the application fee. This will result in you purchasing them separately. (Keep in mind if you change your name you’ll need those certified copies- highly recommend purchasing them)
- Once you have your ceremony on your wedding day, you will need to complete the marriage license. You will fill out the marriage license with your officiant, witnesses, and significant other. Then mail it back to the county office.